I am, like many, a music fanatic. I was thinking today about whose music has left the greatest impression on me: as far as popular music I would have to say Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, and maybe Janis Joplin; there was just something there. I think Van Morrison had a style that others can't really replicate. His voice is entirely unique. I can't believe how many covers there are on the Internet of Into the Mystic, which is my favorite song of his but was not his most popular. When I think of him, I think "grouse." He is very difficult, and I have read about this again and again. And Joni, she is an incredible poet, unmatched really.
Well I don't know where this subject came from, but this cold is keeping me from doing much else than blogging, I suppose. :)
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Here's probably my numero uno resolution for the new year: to look something more like twiggy (pictured below), except without the bow. I know I'm in for some hard work and that it will take a lot of discipline. But it will be worth it in the end, you dig? I mean just look at how happy twiggy looks - yay!
Monday, January 4, 2010
Now that I have reached mid-life, I often think of items that are retro or no longer sold. Some of them have become collector's items. Can you think of any? I will revisit this post as I think of new things. Please let me know of items you remember! If they are from before the 70s, please try to associate them with a timeframe.
- Pillsbury funny face juice characters and mugs
- metal lunch boxes with clasps (I had one with Charlie Brown on it that included a thermos) - we did not use backpacks then.
- space food sticks (chewy candy-food in honor of the astronauts who landed on the moon)
- wacky packy trading cards with bubblegum
- candy cigarettes (no longer PC)
- pixy stix
- striped knee socks with toes
- stick pins
- earth shoes
- chukka boots (70s style)
- saddle shoes (they were retro from the 50s to us)
- MIA clogs (dark red leather; Swedish)
- Lectric Shave (thinking old obnoxious commercials) - product still around
- Hai Karate cologne (for men)
- Aqua Velva grooming products (for men)
- Earthborn shampoo (featured Dorothy Hammel with her infamous haircut on the front label)
Sunday, January 3, 2010
I just needed an excuse to post some more photos before I packed away decorations (sniff! sniff!), which probably won't happen till next weekend because I do not feel well. Here are a few photos from the dining room.
What's this? How did that cow from Chik-Fil-A get in there? He's not even from the creche we have!
Saturday, January 2, 2010
My son really loves this nativity set made out of banana grass that my sister got me a few years ago in Uganda. I always arrange it just so, and then he takes it upon himself to arrange his way with the whole joyous party led by Mary and Joseph heading back east. Who needs camels or strollers, for that matter, when you have wise men who will carry the baby?
"We two kings of orient are, carryin' dis babe cuz
we ain't got no car."